Sunday, July 08, 2012

The Rundown - 1

Here are some of the things going on in my head this week....not enough to write about each item in great length, but just things I have been thinking:

  • I am regularly inspired and shouting "Amen!" by the things Tim Spivey is writing on his blog. This is also where I got the idea to do this type of post. Definitely a "Must Read" blog.
  • I am trying to get my First Century Church History back in my brain after many years of study has escaped my memory.
  • I have gotten back into the WWE after years of not having cable. I like the direction of their stories and characters. Also watching Impact Wrestling but not as thrilled with their direction.
  • Sting (the wrestler, not the musician) needs to go to the WWE before he retires. I would like to see him in some dream matches as well as inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.
  • Not happy with the direction the Boston Red Sox are going. Losing Youkilis last week was rough. Terry Francona was one of the main reasons the Sox made it to the World Series and had so much success in the beginning of the new millennium. Bobby Valentine isn't close to the kind of manager I want for the Sox.
  • The Southwest Church of Christ in Tigard, Oregon is "doing church" the way it should be done. I am really encouraged every week by the people and leadership there.
  • Knowing the history of my tribe -- Churches of Christ -- and our past legalism issues, I think we have come a long way from it. Conversely, I have seen that there is legalism of a much deeper variety in existence in other denominations that I find very shameful. If you thought the Churches of Christ were bad, fret not, there is much worse out there and we're setting a good example.
  • The standards being used to determine and promote our current conference speakers/curriculum writers/authors is poor. We've traded good feelings and health/wealth and the Social Gospel for good orthodoxy and proper interpretation. Many of the biggest names in Christianity I think are dangerous for the future of the church. ...and you may be thinking of people different than I am thinking of...
  • President Obama scares the living daylights out of me. He cannot have a second term or all bets are off for where our country is headed. Still blaming Bush? Think that I am being extremely partisan? I guess we'll see.

These are the things going on in my head this week.