Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Book Review: Gods At War

I am highly impressed with the recent rise of pastor/writers like Kyle Idleman and Francis Chan. So, when I heard Kyle Idleman was releasing a new book, I just had to read it. I am a huge fan of Not A Fan. :}

In his new book, Gods At War, Idleman takes us on a journey through a challenging way of looking at a subject we don't tend to talk about: Idolatry.

We tend to think about the Israelites melting down their jewelry and fashioning a bull out of the gold when we talk about idolatry. Other stories that come to mind are when Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego refused to bow down to the giant idol and the Athenians that Paul preached to on Mars Hill. We also bring to the forefront of our minds modern religious figures like Buddha and Shiva.

What Idleman insists is that idolatry goes far beyond these images. If we put other things in front of God, we are idolaters...and that is a difficult proposition to think about. Very convicting.

Overall, this concept isn't really a new one. I am aware that any time I spend not with God, I am possibly creeping toward the "worship" of something other than Him. Even though I am aware, Gods At War is still a great reminder because in my sin, I still idolize things I shouldn't. One of my personal struggles is where I place political views. Idleman has again written a very timely book. I liked that at the end of each section that talked about different "idols"; money, sex, success, self, etc.; he has a short conclusion that gives a very biblical look at the true God that overshadows those things. Example: The god of money is defeated by the God of provision. God gives us everything we need.

I give Gods At War by Kyle Idleman 4 out of 5 stars because it is a very well written book, filled with challenges for me to think about when I start to worry about money, pleasure, and selfish desires.

*****
I received this book free from the Thomas Nelson Publisher's Booksneeze review program. I was not required to write a favorable review. I was only asked to be honest. The words are my own.

__