Saturday, November 16, 2013

Book Review: Robert Griffin III Athlete, Leader, Believer

Robert Griffin III Athlete, Leader, Believer by Ted Kluck is a book about an outstanding young NFL Quarterback and good upstanding young man who is trying to set an example of how to lead in a Christlike manner.

I was familiar with Ted Kluck from his work with Kevin DeYoung on Why We're Not Emergent: By Two Guys Who Should Be. I prefered DeYoung's chapters...you could really tell which ones were written by DeYoung and which ones written by Kluck. However, I am also familiar with Kluck's work at ESPN. As a sports writer, he is really good. I was really looking forward to reading this book that fit more with Kluck's strengths.

I was a bit disappointed. It really wasn't a book about Griffin's life. It was more about a play-by-play through his Rookie season (2012). While it was fun to relive his stellar season in D.C., I really wanted to read about his life and how it has affected how he leads and lives as a Christian in the NFL.

I would wait for this one at the Library rather than purchase a copy. I give it a 2.5/5.0 stars in terms of expectation vs. content. I thought the content standing on it's own was a 3.5/5.0. So overall I give it 3 stars out of 5.

*****
I received this book free from the Thomas Nelson Publisher's Booksneeze review program. I was not required to write a favorable review. I was only asked to be honest. The words are my own.

__