Friday, December 06, 2013

Christmas Gift Guide For Men 2013

I love Christmas. It's really a fun time of year that reminds me of growing up, family, and now gives me an opportunity to instill new traditions with my own wife and children.

Christmas is not about getting presents. It is a time to remember Jesus Christ's birth and what he means to us in the world today. I hate asking for presents. I don't like making a Christmas list. It seems so selfish to me. However, I know a lot of wives who want to get their husbands that one great gift that will make him say "WOW!"...instead of more knick-knacks that might not last a month.

As you might know (or might just be finding out) I am a major proponent for lifting up and encouraging my fellow men. I have always wanted to compile a list for every man out there who just doesn't know what to ask for and hates making Christmas lists. So here is my first annual Christmas Gift Guide for Men!



Every man needs a heavy duty Thermos to carry coffee, cocoa, soups, or stews to work or out camping. Thermos brand are made to last. He'll never need another one again...unless you "borrow" it from him. I think the 2 liter one is the best.
Price: $20-35


Great Coffee Beans


He's going to need something to put in his great new Thermos! Pick out some great coffee for him to brew up and fill that container. My favorite coffee is Black Tiger. You can pick some up from Jim & Patty's here in Portland/Beaverton. While you're there, sit back, relax, and try some of their other unique baked goodies.
Price: $14.95/lb.


Manly Books


Real Men Read! That's right. You cannot be a manly man unless you have a quit wit and a sharp brain. Why not read some books on being a better man? Here are a few of my recommendations (all listings here are on Amazon...I get nothing from these endorsements so feel free to purchase them wherever you like to buy books):
Mansfield's Book of Manly Men: An Utterly Invigorating Guide to Being Your Most Masculine Self
The Map: The Way of All Great Men
Wild At Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul
Manhood Restored: How the Gospel Makes Men Whole
The Real Win: A Man's Quest for Authentic Success


Kershaw Knives


Every man should carry a knife. I have been in situations where I couldn't open packaging, had a tag to cut off, or while out camping. Kershaw makes some of the best knives out there. There are hundreds to choose from. They are solid and award-winning, and some are made right here in Oregon! (Check to make sure you get a US-made knife and not a China-made one). Can't go wrong with that!
Price: $20-100+


Locally brewed soda


I am not a huge fan of alcoholic beverages, though I am not against them. I much prefer a great tasting soda. A great gift for men is a local soda. You might want to do a search and see who is local to you. Being in Oregon, I found some here. I also found a few others that I thought sounded great.
Hotlips Soda are all natural, fruit flavored soda made here in Oregon. Their goal is sustainability while providing the best taste you can find. Their Marionberry won Beverage World Bevstar Bronze this year! Try one today!
Rocky Mountain Soda Co. - Colorado
Pop Soda - Arizona
Price: varies


Thermal Socks

 
My daily work takes me out and about through the week. In the winter, my feet need protection. I love a great comfy, warm sock to keep me going. Heat Holders has been working on this for years now. They started in England and have sold over 10 million pairs and are growing.
Price: $16-20 (and shipping is free if you buy 2 or more pairs)


Maglite


Maglite are the best and most rugged flashlight out there. I have had my 4D Cell for years. It can be tossed around and you don't have to worry about it breaking. I used mine to hammer a nail once (don't ask) and it didn't even look like I registered a mark on it (not recommended). Also great for defending against bear attacks (also not recommended).
Price: $20-40 depending on the size you choose and where you purchase it (available at most major retailers).


Survival Straps


I saw a guy wearing one of these once at an auto repair shop. I asked about them and went online. These are amazing!

From their website: "Survival Straps® gear can help you survive whatever life throws at you. Our paracord gear is worn around the world as a fashion statement, but also as a symbol of strength, honor, and the greatness of American production. They are made in America from super strong military spec paracord which gives them a secondary purpose. In an emergency situation, unravel the bracelet to deploy the paracord to help get you out of a jam." They come in all sorts of colors and logos including sports, fraternities, military branches, and other official and unofficial licensed names). The best part about Survival Straps is if you do use it in an emergency situation, you can send in your story, and they will send you a new one, free of charge!
Price: $30 and up



Mancrates


Mancrates take the guesswork out of giving gifts and make the man in your life feel awesome! They pack the manliest items together into awesome crates and ammo boxes--everything from beef jerky, cards and games, snacks, and zombie weapons.You won't need giftwrap...just a crowbar! (Pictured: Zombie Suppression Crate -- $139.99)
Price: $50-200


Kettlebells


Want your man to feel like he's a superhero? Get him a set of these Kettlebells by Onnit for his daily workout routine. These look like something a contestant from the World's Strongest Man would lift.
Price: $35 and up depending on weight and how many you get.


Saddleback Leather Briefcases


Whether it's for work, play, or travel, every man needs to carry his belongings with him. Why not make the special man in your life feel like Indiana Jones as he walks with one of Saddleback's classy briefcases or messenger bags?

Saddleback bags are pricey, but they are worth it. Each bag has a 100 year warranty as they guarantee these bags will stand the test of time.
Price: $600


___