Friday, January 31, 2014

Book Review: Mansfield's Book of Manly Men

I was really excited to read Stephen Mansfield's new book, Mansfield's Book of Manly Men. As a proponent of someone calling men back to their roles as leaders, I anticipated reading a really good book about this subject. Mansfield does not disappoint. What a fantastic book!

Mansfield's Book of Manly Men is a great way to encourage and uplift men to live like men. But this book is no primer of misogyny or feminist bashing. No, Mansfield calls men to what he calls the 4 Manly Maxims. There is a crisis in men. And he has maxims that he calls us to. They are:
  1. Manly men do manly things.
  2. Manly men tend their fields.
  3. Manly men build manly men.
  4. Manly men live to the glory of God.

Again, I don't want to spoil this book for you. You should read it.

After the 4 maxims, Mansfield then spends the rest of the book providing examples of men (in Scripture and throughout history) living this way. Each chapter follows a characteristic that we all need. Characteristics like: Honor, Legacy, Humor, Integrity, Forgiveness, and about 10 more.

The book finishes with Manly quotes and some further assignments: a reading list of books for manly men and movies to watch that show men doing what they should.

This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I will gladly be adding this book to my booklist for men that I share with other men looking for some great reading.

I give Mansfield 5 out of 5 stars.

*****
I received this book free from the Harper Collins BookLook program. I was not required to write a favorable review. I was only asked to be honest. The words are my own.

__