Wednesday, January 01, 2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR, 2014!!!

2013 went like a flash of lightning!!! I have been told that as you age, time indeed flies by. I am feeling that truth more and more every year.

The New Year celebration usually brings with it a desire for people to invest in personal growth. I'm not sure if it is the time passing by us that makes us reflect on how well we are living, but this is when we resolve to do something different to achieve a better self.

I've not really been one to make New Year's resolutions. I know I can't keep them. It's difficult to just start doing life differently...kind of like an opposite cold turkey. But, I do not berate the idea like some do. If you want to make New Year resolutions, please do. I will encourage you and help you through the tough ones if you'd like my help. So, I don't typically make resolutions myself, but I do want to make improvements. Maybe it is laziness that people don't make resolutions...if you don't make them, then you cannot feel bad when you break them. I don't know. This year, even though I don't make resolutions, I am resolving to do some things better and make improvements to my lifestyle. Call it what you want.

I think by listing some of them here, I am able to visually see a list of the things I want to do better and have a bit of accountability, as well as my usual transparency where I invite the world to see a glimpse of my life and where my brain is currently aimed.

  • I want to read more. I used to be a HEAVY reader. You can see from my blog posts of yesteryear that I read as much as possible. I know part of my reading died when I lost my mojo after being "let go" from the youth ministry job I had a couple years ago. I still maintain a large library, but I just haven't read the books in it. I need to do that. I am a book reviewer for Thomas Nelson's Booksneeze program and now they require their folks to read a book within a 90 day time limit or be suspended from the program. I also need to get rid of a lot of books and would like to have giveaways here from my library to anyone that might want them.
  • I want to be a better musician. I have loads of opportunities to share music, but I have been pretty lazy about improving my skills. I want to get better on my guitar, learn to play some music on my keyboard, and learn more about my mandolin. I also want to find more venues to share my love of singing and leading worship. If you would like to have me come lead worship at your church, let me know.
  • I would like to be a better leader. Not just a leader at church...which I do want to do, but also with my family and for the world around me at large. I will be leading our worship ministry. I want to teach more classes and preach. I will be coaching basketball for my son and some other boys his age. I want to be visible in the community as someone who advocates for conservatism. I want to be a voice for those of us who are very upset about Common Core in our schools. I want to be a better dad and husband to my family.
  • I want to eat better. I want to be around for my family for a long time and I need to get my weight down at least 60 pounds. Cravings are tough for me. I get them often. I need to just let my brain tell me no and do some serious prayer when I get the urge to splurge.
  • I want to show the love of Christ to more people around me. I'm desiring to share the Gospel with more people. I want to confront sin...that is the loving Christ-like thing to do. Our culture spreads the current popular opinion that Jesus really didn't have a lot to say about the issues that our culture is talking about today. It isn't true. There are people who are not teaching the truth as found in scripture that many idolize. I will call them out on it, but I will treat them with gentleness and respect when I talk about them. I believe we need to start naming them. They are not teaching the truth. The world needs Jesus more than ever. We have become a society that thinks our feelings and urges are fine as long as we aren't hurting anyone else. So, I'm going to say it. Sorry to say to those that don't like it when I share my opinion about things theological or political...the controversial things...and I will point people to the Gospel as the solution...I am going to be doing that here again. My hope is that you will read.
Well, that's it for now. I hope to add things as they come up. What are you resolving to do this year?

__