Friday, March 14, 2014

Book Review: Counterfeit Gospels

It can be very difficult to describe the mistakes and differences in why a theological proclamation may not be the Gospel of Jesus Christ. There can be subtleties that may make it sound nice and good, but it might be missing parts or the entirety of the Gospel. Counterfeit Gospels by Trevin Wax is a great book that explains the difference between these counterfeits and the true Gospel embodied in Jesus.

Wax takes six of the most common counterfeits and takes us step-by-step through the good, the bad, the noble, and the better way to speak of the true Gospel. Not everything about these counterfeits is bad and he explains why. The six counterfeits discussed in the book are:
Therapeutic: God just wants me to be happy and feel good about myself.
Judgmentless: God won't send me to hell and judge me, the Kingdom is about bringing heaven to earth.
Moralist: God just wants us to have moral and upright behavior.
Quietist: God wants me to be about Him only and ignore the issues that affect people today so I should abstain from politics and voting.
Activist: God just wants me to "live" the gospel and stand up for injustice and the social issues of the day.
Churchless: God doesn't need me to be in a local church, besides, the people are all just hypocrites.
Any of these sound familiar? If they do, you really should read this book. We are called to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus to the world and Trevin Wax also does a great job of explaining what exactly the Gospel is and how we do that.

I give Counterfeit Gospels 5 out of 5 stars. Great book!

*****
I purchased this book. I was not asked to give a review, or be favorable one way or another. The words are my own.

__