Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mother's Day Without Mom

This will be my first Mother's Day following the death of my Mother. It will be difficult, but I am thankful for her. It will be a day of remembering how she loved me, helped me grow up, showed me faithfulness, encouraged me when I was sad, took me to numerous doctor appointments as my body grew extremely fast as I got older, and explained the attitudes a good adult man should have with others.

My Mom and I didn't always get along. I was a good kid and didn't really get into much trouble, but as an adult we drifted in some of our political and theological beliefs. She was supportive of my work in ministry and loved to hear me talk about the things I was working on. She loved that I found leadership important and saw when bad leadership by others bothered me. And she was encouraging.

On Sunday, I will be attempting to lead worship on Mother's Day. I know I will get through it. I count myself among the numerous people who find Mother's Day difficult, but I am going to celebrate. I have a wonderful church family full of Mothers. I have a wonderful Mother-in-law. My wife is an awesome Mother to our two kids. We will all honor moms together because Jesus Christ made it possible for us to reunite again.

__