Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Book Review: Building A Ministry of Spiritual Mentoring

I was thrilled to receive my copy of Dr. Jim Grassi's book Building A Ministry of Spiritual Mentoring and begin reading immediately.

Dr. Grassi is convinced, through his research at Men's Ministry Catalyst, that "if pastors/ministers aren't committed to promoting and supporting dynamic men's programs, their churches will tend to grow slowly (if at all)" because "when a man comes to faith, 93% of the time the entire family will come to faith and become participants in the church (pg. 5)."

He also insists that a group of guys meeting at a local diner once a week for Bible study or once a month for a pancake breakfast does not constitute a vibrant men's ministry (pg. 6).

I agree. And this is why Dr. Grassi has written this book. He wants men to step forward and lead their families and their churches. "Unfortunately, too many men in the church today have become spectators leading undisciplined lives instead of being active participants in partnership with the Holy Spirit in studying and applying God's Word (pg. 23)." Men need to be challenged. It is part of their nature and they need mentors; other older men who are actively discipling and training them for leadership.

I don't want to give away the myriad of great things Dr. Grassi has written by filling this review with too many quotes. It is best to get them in context with his overall point. I found myself underlining many passages in his book.

Building A Ministry of Spiritual Mentoring is full of practical, how-to advice on building a vibrant men's ministry. I think this book would serve any church leadership with ways to begin a new men's group or even enhance an already existing men's ministry.

I have already passed this book along to our church's minister. He is getting a copy he can pour through and highlight. If you don't believe in exclusively male spiritual leadership, you may not like or agree with this book. But if you're willing to explore his arguments, I found him to be very sound in his teaching.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. Very helpful and it spoke to me as a man on what I would like in a men's ministry (and we're already doing some of the things in the book in our congregation).

*****
I received this book free from the Harper Collins BookLook program. I was not required to write a favorable review. I was only asked to be honest. The words are my own.