Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Book Review: Be The Dad She Needs You To Be

I have to admit that this book brought me to tears. As a Dad of a beautiful, funny, and very smart little girl I don't always feel like I live up to the expectations to be the best Dad I can be. I fail a lot and it always hurts.

Dr. Kevin Leman has written a very good book on being a Father to girls. Be The Dad She Needs You To Be isn't a list of things you should follow and if you follow it to the prescribed "t" you will be a great Dad. Leman gives encouragement and sound advice for when you are feeling insignificant and helpless.

He helps give advice for the mundane things in life all the way to very important and significant topics like sex and dating and when you are fighting with one another.

I want my daughter to make good choices in life and be a great Christian woman. Dr. Leman helped me see how I can improve what I am already doing and those things I am not doing. I shed some tears when I would read parts and feel broken; like I have failed for good and cannot turn things around. But then I would turn the page and see light around the corner for how to improve.

"There's no doubt that dads have a lifetime impact on their daughters. What do you want yours to be? You might be a young dad, or a planning-to-be-a-dad-soon guy, or one with a few gray hairs (or a lot) on your head. You might be one of those dads who has been able to hit on all eight cylinders with his daughter and only wants to tweak the carburetor a little. Or you might have realized, in the course of this book, that you are an MIA dad and want to change that. No matter where you are in your relationship, I guarantee that the daddy-daughter connection can grow stronger. You can make an indelible imprint on your daughter's heart. You can leave a lasting legacy for the next generation." (pg. 227)
I have to recommend Be The Dad She Needs You To Be by Dr. Kevin Leman. I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

*****
I received this book free from the Harper Collins BookLook program. I was not required to write a favorable review. I was only asked to be honest. The words are my own.